Wednesday 20 October 2010

Stitch n' Bitch Crochet - The Happy Hooker


Stitch n' Bitch Crochet -
The Happy Hooker
by Debbie Stoller
(illustration courtesy of Amazon.co.uk)

How could I resist a book with this title?

I picked it up on a browsing mission one Sunday in Greenwich and was sucked in for about three quarters of an hour. By the time I looked up I had but one ambition in life - to learn to crochet!

Yup, this was the book that started it all for me and I asked for it for Christmas. Luckily I had a partner who listened and that's exactly what I got - no more, and no less. That is, for a couple of agonising days I possessed the book but no yarn and no hook! However, Stoller's such a stonking good writer and a comedienne to boot, I was able to start enjoying my chrissie pressy right after the Christmas Pudding!

Well Stoller blows away any connotations of staid uncoolery, or embarassing chicness voids, she is NO Granny Square! I was more than happy to sign up for Club Crochet with her as Chairman and President! I just worked my way steadily through all her clear and funny instructions, chuckling my way up from the foundation chain of beginnerdom to something approaching the lacy crown of advancedness within about a year - and loving every minute.

Now, of course, I have LOADS of books on crochet and have truly made the grade of Crochet Addict with my proud overflowing STASH of yarns and a hidden collection of lost crochet hooks down the back of the sofa and between the floor boards, but I always return to Debbie when i'm feeling flat, and she fans up those flames and off I go again on another inspired creative jolly.....

Available from Amazon on: this page (click here)

Some of my own attempts at Debbie's exercises and projects



The Violet Beauregarde

The Short n' Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment