Thursday 21 October 2010

201 Crochet motifs, blocks, projects and ideas


201 Crochet
motifs, blocks, projects and ideas
by Melody Griffiths

This was my second crochet book. Think I might have found it in the same bookshop as the first, well into the year following receipt of my 'spare-time changing' Christmas gift of Debbie Stoller's
Happy Hooker.

It couldn't be more different in so many ways, though I loved it from the start and have spent almost as many happy hours lost between its pages and getting coffee cup rings over its easy to read patterns.

First of all it's British, and not American, which means that though the stitches themselves are identical, they've got different names! Still, undaunted I kept The Happy Hooker open at the page with the stitch translation table on it and set out to test my skills and knowledge on some of Ms Griffith's gorgeous collection of beautiful motifs.

It's another book that excites and inspires and seems to wax and wane with me, apparently having a pattern to match any of my moods. Sometimes I feel like challenging myself with something fine, lacy and complex on a 1.5mm hook, and at other times I just want colour and easy freedom so I grab a no 4 and thrash out one of her 'takes' on the Granny Square. Not long after I bought it I followed the pattern for a cushion cover made of popcorn bobbled squares. That was my very first full-blown project. It took me a whole week's holiday in Ilfracombe crocheting in every cafe and restaurant, on each
beach, and all evening in front of the telly back at our holiday apartment. I stitched all the squares together back at home in London and gave the final object to my suitably appreciative mum for her birthday.

You can get this book from Amazon. Just CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment